1. VLC media player - plays all media file types, with it’s own codecs (no need of additional codecs)
Open a terminal window and type in:
sudo apt-get install vlc
2. Amarok - music player with last.fm plugin and other cool stuff.
To install, open a terminal window and type:
sudo apt-get install amarok
3. Firefox - of course, the well known web browser.
And an optimized version for Linux: here.
4. Avant Window Navigator with Curves - Changes the look of your panels.
Screenshots and installation guide: here.
5. Wine (Wine Is Not an Emulator) - Some sort of emulator (but not an emulator :P), of Windows, for Linux. It lets you install Windows software on Ubuntu.
To install (don’t get scared, it’s actually quite easy, you just have to copy/paste things):